I am an author who enjoys writing women's fiction whether it be a good tearjerker or a heart breaker, a time traveler or ghostly curse breaker. My stories are packed with soul, sometimes nostalgia, adversity with some adventure and of course a little steam just enough to curl any woman's toes!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Social Media or Bust?

Okay Folks here it is! 

 This is the first blog of my life!

This experience/experiment is kind of like a prayer because I am hoping my voice will be lifted into the internet aether's and delivered to someone to hear!

   Let me introduce myself.  I am a writer and my name is Cary West and this is who I've been for the last 30days!  Of course it's a pen name and it was to originally be Carey West.  However, the typing gods that were whispering in my daughter's ear when she created my first book cover misspelled my first name so therefore I am taking it as sign to drop the "e" and let the chips fall where they may.

Blogging and social media is as foreign to me as picking up the telephone and actually talking to a live person would be to some of you.  I'm not old but I'm not twenty-five either.

So I've started Tweeting, I'm on Facebook (which I will have a Cary West page on soon), joined internet writing groups, book review groups, Goodreads, Listeria, Smashwords, Word press, Wattpad to name a few.  I have researched every genre of books and have a five page list of media groups, agents names, independent publishing companies, beta reader, editors, cover designers all derived from successful authors be it traditional or indie.

I have read every success story and how to's.  I've researched web pages and read every single message that working authors can give
to help you in this journey and I'm going to tell you what I found. 

Authors who know the meaning of the word struggle and are now making a living at their craft are very willing to help, encourage, and to spark the light in a future writer's eye.  For that I am eternally grateful.

I have had the good fortune of meeting some wonderful people along the way and I've also had some stumbling blocks.  I've learned a good editor is worth their weight in gold and should be paid.  You don't need to hire a writing coach and pay them thousands of dollars for your book to be good.  If your Indie publishing use Amazon for your e-book and Create Space for print on demand.  (But that's just my opinion, take it or leave it)
 
I've had my work ripped to shreds and said it was terrible when it was good and I've had others tell me something was good when it was crap so my feelings wouldn't get hurt.  Over time I have learned who will be honest, will be fair, will challenge me to reach deeper, will pose questions and in the end say "Good job!"

My goal for this blog in the future will be to pass as much information as I can to help my fellow writer's in their journey.  To laugh together, maybe even cry and move toward our goals regardless of fear or that little voice that says you can't when you can!

So grab a cup of coffee, kick back, and let's just blog!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment